Saturday, November 5, 2011

In the beginning...

My passion in teaching is ICT. This seems fairly obvious, even to the casual observer. In fact, as soon as I get to school I'm unloading my laptop, and my netbook, and syncing my iPad while seeing if I have any new texts or emails on my iPhone. It either falls into geek or OCD.

The joy I get from discovering new tools to use, new skills to try is in using them with my students. Working with these kids to set up new apps or spaces on the Ultranet enables them to try it themselves next time, and teach someone else when it has become second nature to them. The joy of working with the 'digital natives', although I'm still not sure how I feel about that term.
While I believe that it fits and is apt for who it describes, it can also work just as well as a term for exclusion - an excuse for not practicing skills or attempting something that may be a close neighbour of someone's comfort zone.
So, what's this all about? I want to keep track of what I'm trying for a record of my personal learning - it took me only a few minutes to rack up a full page of weblinks from a day or so of Twitter activity, and it would take me the full day to read them all and check out what people are suggesting. This is where I aim to keep what I've found, make note of my progress, and keep finding out what other people can teach me - so I can continue to lead my students and colleagues.
Feel free to tag along as I follow that mouse where the Web 2.0 can lead!

No comments:

Post a Comment